Monday, January 28, 2008

Make a Craft Monday

So I have decided to post a kids craft every Monday. I am doing this to encourage me to keep my mind creative when playing with the kids, and to share with all of you (most of you are moms of young kids). So here is it Homemade Play Dough.

Not only do kids love play dough but they love to help make it. Ethan loves mushing it all together to make the consistency right. I have made more than a few batches of play dough for the kids but this recipe is by far the easiest and the consistency of the dough is great (creating hours of creative play). One more great thing is that you know exactly what is in it, in case you have a child like Ella - who likes to sneak a bit when I am not looking. Yes I know you are saying "gross".
Ingredients:
2 + cups of white flour
1/2 cup of salt
1 cup of hot water
1 teaspoon of cooking oil (optional)
Mix flour and salt together then slowly add water and oil (I used only 1/2 teaspoon of oil) Add more flour as needed. Add food coloring if you want or just leave it white. Store in air tight containers.
If you have a craft idea for me just email me and I will get it posted but make sure it is cheep and easy.

8 comments:

Janel said...

Pretty! Faith loved the craft too...we put sparkles in ours!

Shannon said...

This is SO AWESOME! I love it. We will definitely be making it and letting you know about it! Thanks for the idea and look forward to craft monday's!!

Jennifer Andrews-Schafer said...

so will you still be providing this excellent service when WE have kids???

houseofeling said...

christina,
I was just talking to Michael about making homemade play dough....I'm gonna try out your recipe! thanks! I'll be looking forward to Mondays!

NorenaKaz said...

Great craft! I may make that today for my kids. Thanks for the idea. Hope all is well in Indiana. It's actually cold in Colorado today....it was 50 degrees yesterday.
Take care.
Norena Kazmierczak

Candace said...

Hey Christina - Great recipe!!! I tried making play dough with cornstarch - don't do it:) Not successful!

Yes - we are in Melbourne, FL - Jamie's hometown. It is as if we were a military family, moving every two years! I think we will be here long term - we'll see. Write when you can - these blog sites are great, aren't they?

Jenni said...

good idea! i will have to try this. Jonah is just like Ella and sneaks some when i am not looking... i had to dig some out of the roof of his mouth the other day. GROSS!

MH said...

Found your blog through Emily.
Great recipe. I remember my grandmad used to make this with us when we visited as kids. Can't wait to try it with my own!

My favorite summer "craft" from babysitting days was pudding fingerpainting. I would make chocolate and vanilla pudding and we put on old bathing suits and "fingerpainted" on a plastic picnic table in the back yard. It makes a fabulous mess, but we all had a great time, and ran through the sprinkler to clean up.

Looking forward to more crafts to come!